At least I think that's what it is, Pinkeye
We have had 3 goats with eye infections. Betty’s eye was quite bad, it was completely cloudy, very red conjunctiva but only a watery discharge, not pus. It happened while I was away and E couldn’t treat her regularly as it takes two to do it, so when I returned we took her to the vets who said she may lose the sight in that eye. She had a couple of injections, one directly into the eye and ever since we’ve been putting ointment into it 4 times a day. This is not easy with a goat which hates to be handled. We asked if it was infectious and were told ‘no’. Then on the 8th day, another goat had a watery eye and it was half shut, no redness and the eye was clear but we got some fresh ointment from the vet as I am sure it would have progressed to the nasty infection Betty had. Then the following morning, another goat was showing signs so he was treated. Both of the latest infections looked fine again after 24 hours but we continued with the ointment. Today is the 10th and final day of Betty’s treatment and she can see out of her eye and it is almost clear, the other two are fine so I’ve stopped treating them, I think we nibbed it in the bud. It’s been quite a hassle, having to separate the goats, cajole the ‘sick’ ones into the goat house to catch them (they do not play ball if you have to do anything to them, food, fine, anything else, no) and keep the rest out of the way. And all in 4 inches of mud.
Then this afternoon, while collecting alpaca poo (it wasn’t raining and the sun was out so I made the most of the opportunity), I noticed that Max was slightly lame on his near hind leg, I couldn’t see any blood, or swelling and he was weight bearing, just limping a bit, so he can wait until tomorrow for catching and a really close look, I really really hope there’s nothing wrong. Meaning, I hope it's something that doesn't require a visit to the vet and treatment as I am off to the UK again for 3 days on Tuesday. I can't stand the stress!
1 comment:
I can understand your stress. It is very stressful when any livestock get sick, Also costly to have the vet come out! Glad it is under contol for you now. Would love to see more pictures of your animals.
Wish I had your talent for knitting. The pics you have posted of your work are wonderful.
Post a Comment