Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Enough already!

Okay, 3rd visit to the vets with Betty (and George, I'll come to that later). On Sunday Betty was acting strangely, she would stare into the distance, and stand still for some time, this is not normal for a goat! She would walk the perimeter fence of the enclosure with her head slightly turned to the left. She would eat hay and treats, but her left horn felt very warm, the same side as her bad eye. The eye is almost healed, but the pupil slightly enlarged. I didn't think this warrented a call out unless things deteriorated which they didn't so off to the vet yesterday. He wasn't sure what was going on, her temperature was barely above normal and confirmed the ulcer on the eye was healing well. He explained there is a sinus immediately below the horn and perhaps there was a slight infection there? He did give her antibiotic and anti-inflamatory injections. We didn't ask a direct question, about her eyesight, but I think she has. But, in a way that doesn't explain the weird staring and pacing the fence and standing in a corner because at the begining when her eye was at it's worse it was almost completely clouded over - she wouldn't have been able to see out of it, and she behaved quite normally. It's a "wait and see" situation. She is still very interested in tit-bits and hay, but, I think her general browsing and grazing is much less. I've kept her and some companions restricted to the veg garden (nothing in it this time of the year, well, nothing now) which is next to the goat house as it makes it easier to catch regularly for treatment, but this morning I think I will let her into the proper enclosure and see if she is more inclined to eat then. We need some warm sunny days, goats hate this wet, cold weather.

We also took George to the vet as he has had a runny nose for ages and his left eye also shows a slight infection, he was given a long acting antibiotic injection and that was it, no drops, hooray!

I'm feeling very stressed, very short tempered and irritable, and this is the second night I've woken at 02.47, and not gone back to sleep. I dream of lying by a pool in the sun, and no housework!

1 comment:

Bristolcare said...

Oh poor you. poor Betty and George as well. I understand how you are feeling. sick goats, rotten weather, worst of all house work. I have given up on that lately, not a great idea cos its always there and tends to build up when left for a bit. OH roll on Spring!