Monday, January 22, 2007

Getting Healthy

I need to lose a few pounds. Nineteen to be exact - (crikey, in my mind it was a stone and a bit...) I was reading Crazy Aunt Pearl and she wrote a long post about losing weight, the pressure to be thin, men, using being fat as an excuse etc etc. It obviously resonated with lots and lots of people judging by all of the comments she received, 300 and counting. Buried amongst the comments was a link to Real Age and I'm two years younger! You get a personalised health plan based on the answers you give to some quite extensive questionnaires. If I follow my plan I will be 4 and half years younger in 3 months! How long before I hit 21 again LOL!

But to be fair to the site, it doesn't make false promises, the improvement tails off dramatically - 5 and half years younger in 3. Generally everything was based on the latest, researched evidence - and it's free!

So, although I am reasonably active most of the year, I tend to do little during the winter, hence a 8 lb rise since October. I'm going to lose this flab once and for all this year! My biggest problem is self-sabotage. I get to within a few lbs of goal and suddenly start eating for England. Go figure.

The plan: Move more, eat sensibly, cut out booze almost completely, do a 20 minute strength and flexibility workout EVERY DAY. I will now go off and produce a graph to monitor my progress in Excel.

No comments: