Sunday, January 07, 2007

First proper week of 2007

One week of 2007 completed! It's the dull, damp, slog of mid-winter to get through until spring. The weather has been mild (5c- 10c) recently which of course means rain, mist and mud, yesterday it actually reached 11c! Last winter we had snow mid November and the temperature didn't get above 5c for 16 weeks, I know, I counted. I know lots of people in the northern hemisphere have temperatures much colder than this, but because in some climes it's unusual, our houses, clothes etc are not set up for it, so we, no, I am uncomfortable. We have central heating and double glazed windows, but we keep the CH on for background heat and run two woodburning stoves during the day, but they are difficult to control and won't stay in overnight. In France they don't know how to make decent woodburning stoves, they are very inefficient compared to Scandinavian ones and even some British makes. The other thing that's not helping me is - hormones. I don't take HRT and recently I've found my hot/damp sensations are increasing, they don't really 'affect my quality of life' so I will put up with them, I'd rather not take anything. Maybe I should look for some herbal remedies?

Update on goat's eyes. Betty's eye just wouldn't completely recover so we took her to the vet's again on Wednesday and had a different ointment for her and this seems to be doing the trick, finger's crossed.

No comments: